Living with Palm TX

Sunday, October 23, 2005

PalmPDF

Tag:

There is a new freeware in the making that allows user to read NATIVE PDF files. You got me right. Freeware + Native + PDF. Dream come true.

PalmPDF

This site is written in German. Here a translation of the page using google.

http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metaviewsoft.de%2Fde%2FSoftware%2FPalmOS%2FFreeware%2FOther%2Findex.html&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=en&ie=UTF8

But it is still at it's early developement stage and there are still quite alot of bugs to be resolved. I'm currently using PalmPDF version 0.3 on a Palm TX. I do understand that different palms give different results. Heard alot of positive comments form Zodiac users.

Tried with a few PDF files, but encountered errors. Can't read the full error message as it has been truncated, it reads something like
"Error: 2 Couldn't create a fort for 'DC<<>>" and
"Font type TrueType(4) isn't supported<<>>"

I guess it is due to the fonts problems.

But I did found a PDF file that could be opened by PalmPDF.
But it encountered error after viewing for awhile.

Here are some of the screenshots.

The opening screen



Full page view
(my mScreen cannot do a screen capture on the main page, so I have to revert to primitive method of using a camera to point at the screen. Haha)
Notice that they removed the TX bottom status bar. Hope the next version will keep the status bar in view.


Zoom in view
Sad to say, I still couldn't get it to work in landscape mode. The files just doesn't seem to load when in landscape mode. Hope this bug could be solved in the next version.


1 of the many errors that I've encountered while trying out PalmPDF


There are still many bugs in this program. Well, its at initial developement stage. Hope the next version will be less buggy.

This is 1 good program worth watching for. I believe it has great future. Hope they keep it free forever.

Will keep a watch on this software. Looking forward to the next version. Great stuff!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home